“General” means overall, and that describes our approach to oral healthcare. Our general dental office partners with you, providing a range of services and guidance on home care. We share the goal of keeping your smile bright and your mouth at a peak level of wellness that contributes to whole body health. At We Smile Dentistry in London, ON, general dentistry is quality of life dentistry.
General dentistry services for good oral health
An effective program of dental hygiene care starts in the treatment chair and continues at home:
- Maintain regular professional teeth cleaning and examination appointments. These are usually scheduled twice a year. If we are helping you manage an oral health condition, we may recommend more frequent checkups.
- Our exams include oral cancer screening as an extra safeguard.
- Brush teeth at least two times daily – when you get up in the morning and before going to bed.
- Floss at bedtime to remove plaque between teeth.
- Brush before meals, rather than after eating (which can damage tooth enamel).
- Be sure to brush your tongue. This helps to eliminate bacteria that cause tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath.
- Consider switching to an electric toothbrush. Our hygiene team is happy to recommend the most appropriate brand for your needs, and to demonstrate correct brushing techniques.
- After brushing, rinse with antibacterial mouthwash. It kills lingering bacteria in tight spaces between teeth and in microscopic contours of the tongue.
- If you cannot brush and floss on schedule, rinse the mouth with plain water.
With this plan of action, you may never need another tooth filling.
As your general dental practitioner, Dr. Spagnuolo can also provide TMJ treatment. A comfortable, custom-fit mouth guard reduces clenching and grinding during sleep and eases strain on jaw joints.
General dentistry in London, ON for healthier gums and heart
Harvard Medical School reports that the risk of having a stroke, heart attack, or serious cardiovascular event is increased two to three times for people with gum disease. Bacteria that cause gingivitis and periodontitis are also linked to other serious illnesses.
The We Smile Dentistry team works hard to help you avoid this condition. If it does develop, we provide effective gum disease treatment. Laser periodontal therapy targets infection and diseased tissue, without need for invasive surgery. Since healthy tissue is spared and bacteria is virtually eliminated, gums heal quickly.
Has it been a while since your last visit to the dentist? Don’t worry – at We Smile Dentistry, you will not be judged; just gently guided toward improved oral health. Call (226) 605-0042 to get started.